If you are wondering how to unlock bootloader on OnePlus X then this post will help you out. This whole guide is about the process of unlocking bootloader on OnePlus X.
OnePlus X has a pleasing design with great AMOLED Display. The device is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 which includes 3 GB of RAM and 16 of GB of internal memory which can be expandable up to 128 GB via micro SD card.
This device comes in two color variants – Onyx and Ceramic. If we talk about the battery capacity then it has a 2525 mAh of Li-Po battery. The smartphone has a 13 MP of rear camera and 8 MP of front camera. This OnePlus device comes up with Android 5.1.1 (Lollipop) which you can upgrade to 6.0.1 (Marshmallow). So. now let’s get into the unlocking process.
How To Unlock Bootloader – OnePlus X
Unlocking the bootloader terminates the manufacturer warranty of the device. However, relocking the bootloader is also possible. But still, move forward into the guide at your own risk. We will not be held responsible for any damage to your device. So, please take the risk at your own responsibility.
Backup Your Device
Backup is one of the essential activities that must be done before getting into any type of system modification process. Unlocking bootloader is also one of such activity. So, we do highly recommend you to take a complete backup of your data to avoid any kind of data loss. However, the unlocking process doesn’t require you to take backup. This is just an optional step. Because sometimes performing any wrong step during the process can lead the device to be bricked.
There are a number of ways using which you can take a backup of your device’s data. Some of them are listed below:
- Upload your files to the Google drive.
- Sync contacts, history, and emails, etc with the Google account that you have configured on your device.
- For heavy files, use external devices like HDD, SSD, Pendrives, and memory cards, etc.
So, above are some of the easy ways using which you can back up your device data. You can also take a look at the guide on How to backup Android device for a detailed and comprehensive tutorial on backup and restore of Android data.
Install Minimal ADB & Fastboot Tools (SDK Platform-tools)
ADB is a tool which is used to push commands from the computer to the Android device using the USB cable. Unlocking bootloader does require you to execute some of the commands, so you just need to have ADB and fastboot tools installed on your PC.
To install ADB & Fastboot tools on your PC, download the platform-tools package and extract it on your computer. For the detailed guide take a look at the article on How to install ADB and fastboot tools.
Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking are the hidden settings in the developer options. In order to unlock bootloader on Oneplus X, you must have to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock first.
To do so, follow the instructions below:
- Go to ‘settings‘ > ‘About phone‘.
- Scroll down and keep taping on ‘Build Number‘ until you see the message ‘You’re now a developer!‘ at the bottom of the screen.
- Then go back to the settings and select ‘Developer Options’.
- Under this tab, enable ‘USB debugging‘ and ‘OEM Unlocking‘ option using the toggle button.
- As soon as you hit the toggle buttons, you will be asked to confirm the action. So, just allow and accept the warning.
That’s it. Now, when you connect the device to the PC using the USB cable during the unlocking bootloader process, you will need to allow the popup screen on your phone. This is just for the first time. Once you’ve allowed, you will not be asked further until you revoke the computer from the list of trusted devices.
Steps To Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus X
Below are the steps by step instructions that you need to follow in sequence to unlock bootloader of Oneplus X. Make sure you don’t miss any point if you do you won’t be able to unlock your Oneplus device.
1. Turn-off your device completely.
2. Now, press ‘Volume down + Power off’ button to boot your device into fastboot mode
3. Connect your device with the system through USB cable after you entered into fastbtoot mode.
4. Go to ‘ADB Folder‘ located in local disk – C of your system.
5. Then, open ‘PowerShell Window Here‘ in the ADB folder by pressing ‘Shift Key + Right click’ on an empty space.
6. In the PowerShell Window, execute the command given below:
Windows users: fastboot devices
Linux/Mac users: ./fastboot devices
7. After you run the above command if your device unique ID is showing on the screen then you are good to move further otherwise try to re-connect the device by USB cable and by configuring USB driver again.
8. Now you are ready to unlock bootloader on OnePlus X by entering the command given below:
Windows users: fastboot oem unlock
Linux/Mac users: ./fastboot oem unlock
9. After executing the above command your device screen will flash with confirmation for unlocking bootloader option.
10. You need to use your device volume button and Up button to highlight the ‘UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER‘ option. once selected press power button to finish the process.
So, above were the steps that you need to follow in order to unlock bootloader on Oneplus X. If in case you come up with any trouble during the unlocking process you can leave us a comment below.