In this guide, I will show you how you can root OnePlus 8 and 8T using magisk without actually installing TWRP Recovery at all. This rooting process involves downloading the Stock “boot.img” according to your existing running phone software. Then we will patch it via magisk after this we will flash the patched image file on your smartphone via fastboot commands.
For your convenience, we have divided this whole guide into different sub-parts so make sure you go through the complete article to avoid any mistake and root your OnePlus 8T and 8.
There’s no doubt after rooting you will unlock the true potential of your device. It will allow you to use rooted applications like Titanium Backup and Root Explorer, etc. Furthermore, you will also be able to apply modifications to your device software without affecting the system files. Along with all that, some other popular benefits are flashing custom ROMs, Kernels, ZIPs, and Images, etc on your rooted device.
Guide To Root OnePlus 8 and 8T using Magisk without TWRP Recovery
So, as the headline says itself, the method is going to be all without TWRP Recovery. And in place of flashing Magisk ZIP, we will be flashing patched boot.img file of your OnePlus 8 device, which we will be learning further in the tutorial.
Other than this, We would like to warn you that do not try this method and its resources to Root any other device or model. As it can harm your device in many ways.
So, now it’s time to start digging into the procedure by starting with the prerequisites first. Then, later on, we will move over to the instructions part.
- Before beginning with any step, Take a complete backup of your device storage to avoid any mishappening during the rooting process.
- Now you need to unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus 8 or 8T which is necessary for the rooting process.
- After then, Install the necessary “Android SDK Platform Tools” on your operating system. This will provide you ADB and Fastboot binary files that are necessary for the rooting process.
- The next step is to enable the USB debugging mode on your device, which will help you in the functioning of ADB Commands.
- And, lastly, download and install the latest “Magisk Manager” App on your OnePlus 8/8T, which will help in patching boot.img file.
These are the prerequisites that you need to complete to proceed with the further rooting process.
Step 1: Download Stock Boot.img file
Before downloading the Boot image file make sure you are downloading the file which is compatible with your device system. Otherwise, if you flash any other boot image file then you will face issues like wifi/ mobile network not working etc.
Apart from this make sure to avoid the “pre-patched boot image” file for the rooting process. Because when you patch it yourself with magisk then it creates the backup of the current stock boot.img file which will be very helpful in various tasks like installing OTA updates and unrooting the device.
The first step towards the rooting process is to download the Stock boot.img file according to the existing OxygenOS Version on your OnePlus 8/8T. Go to the below link to download the OnePlus 8T and 8 Stock boot image file of any version.
Once you’ve downloaded the file, extract It (if necessary), then copy the “boot.img” to any easily accessible location on your OnePlus Device’s internal storage (Download folder would be great).
Step 2: Patch Stock boot.img using Magisk Manager
Now, as you have downloaded the stock boot image file. The next step is to patch it on your OnePlus 8 or 8T via Magisk Manager. For this, you need to download it first and then install it.
After installing the “Magisk Manager” app, tap on it to open. Once you’re in the app, tap the “Install” button, and then Tap on “Select and Patch File”. Now go to the folder where you have transferred the downloaded boot image file in “Step-1” choose and click on the downloaded file and then tap on “Let’s Go” to proceed further.
Once the patching process is done, you can locate the “magisk_patched.img” file inside the “Download” folder of your device.
Step : 3 Flash Patched Boot.img File
In this last step of rooting, we will flash the magisk_patched.img file using ADB & Fastboot Tools to root OnePlus 8 and 8T.
- First, You need to connect your OnePlus device with the PC via a compatible USB cable and also make sure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your OnePlus.
- Now transfer the “magisk_patched.img” file from your smartphone to your PC’s “platform-tools” folder.
- After transferring the file, right-click with your mouse while holding the SHIFT Key.
- Then click on “Open PowerShell window here” from the list.
- Now enter the below-mentioned command in the window to boot your device into fastboot mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- Now, finally enter the following command to flash the patched boot image file and Root OnePlus 8 and 8T:
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
- The entire flashing process would take a few seconds. Once done then you can reboot your device to the OS with the following command:
Now, you have finally rooted your OnePlus 8/8T with the help of Magisk without getting into the process of installing TWRP Recovery. If you have any queries regarding the rooting process you can ask us through the comment box.
Leave a Reply